Basic wine course
The Basis wine course (English) helps you understand all the basic principals of wine. Topics are style of wines worldwide, soils, faults in wine, any more! And most of all, learn to taste like a professional, using the Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Management of the vineyard
- Wine making techniques
- The main grape varieties
- Wine regions in Europe and the New World
- Wine and food pairing
- SAT - Systematic Approach to Tasting
Stuur een e-mail
- Including a study book and notebook
- 3 Schott Zwiesel wine glasses
- Including theoretical and tasting exam
- Basic wine certificate in four lessons
|TIME SCHEDULE:||4 sessions of 3 hours|
|LEVEL:||wine lovers and beginning professionals|
|PRELIMINARY EDUCATION:||not required|
|SELF STUDY:||10-15 hours, depending on prior knowledge|
|TASTING WINES:||20 good tasting wines included|
The study book is recommended by three Masters of Wine!
The Wijnstudio Basic Wine Course study book is available in English and Dutch. The book consists of 180 pages clearly structured information about wine, brightened up with many photo’s. Further, it contains 70 mock questions that will help you preparing for the exam. The well-arranged structure makes it a handsome reference book. You will also receive a notebook to work with.
Content of the course
Module 1: wine basics, tasting skills, white grapes
- History of wine making
- Viticulture: vine growing, climate, soil
- Terroir: where quality starts
- Vinification: wine making
- Biological wines: the future
- Developments in the world of wine
- Systematic approach to tasting
- Sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, riesling, chenin blanc, sémillon
Module 2: understanding wine, black grapes
- Pinot noir, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, grenache, syrah
- How to read a wine label
- Judging the quality of wine, detect the faults
- Wine storage
- Cork or screw-top
- Serving wine
- How to organise a wine tasting
- Wine rumours: true or false?
- Wine regions in Central Europe
- Wine regions in Southern Europe
Module 3: new world wines, wine and food pairing
- Wine regions in the New World
- Basic principles of wine and food pairing
- Product, kitchen technics and garnishments
- Basic rules for making a menu
- Basic rules for tasting
Module 4: exam, explore your skills
- Tasting session by the students: bring your own
All together, we will be tasting 20 wines of good quality.
National recognised exam
- Theory: 30 multiple choice questions
- Theory: 3 short written answers
- Tasting: 2 wines, make a tasting note and give a wine-food pairing advise
- Exam result: you will receive your exam result within a week
Confirmation and course materials
After receiving your registration you will automatically get a confirmation and invoice.
At the first course day you will receive your study pack: course book and notebook, and a box with 3 tasting glasses.
Course prices are free of VAT
Wijnstudio is a recognized institute for education, therefore we are aloud to offer our courses free of VAT.
Our prices are all-inn, no VAT is added.