Basic Wine Course
The Basis wine course (English) helps you understand all the basic principals of wine. Topics are the most important grape varieties, worldwide wine regions. And learning to taste like a professional, using the Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Terroir: soil, climate and grapes
- Discover the main wine grapes of the world
- Wine making techniques
- Wine regions in Europe and the New World
- Wine faults - why, and how to recognise them
- Wine and food pairing basic principles
- SAT - Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Including a study book and workbook
- Including 3 Schott Zwiesel wine glasses
- Including theoretical and tasting exam
- Get your Basic Wine Certificate in 4 sessions
|4 lessons of 3 hours
|wine lovers and beginning professionals
|20 hours of selfstudy
|20 good tasting wines included
The study book is recommended by three Masters of Wine!
The Wijnstudio Basic Wine Course study book is available in English and Dutch. The book consists of 185 pages clearly structured information about wine, brightened up with diagrams and many photo’s. Further, it contains 70 mock questions that will help you preparing for the exam. The well-arranged structure makes it a handsome reference book. You will also receive a workbook that contains all presentations, that will help to write in class.
Content of the course
Module 1: wine basics, tasting skills, white grapes
- History of wine making
- Viticulture: vine growing, climate, soil
- Terroir: where quality starts
- Vinification: wine making
- Biological wines: the future
- Developments in the world of wine
- Systematic approach to tasting
- Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Chenin Blanc
Module 2: understanding wine, classic wine regions, black grapes
- Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Syrah
- How to read a wine label
- Judging the quality of wine, detect the faults
- Wine storage
- Cork or screw-top
- Serving wine
- How to organise a wine tasting
- Wine rumours: true or false?
- Wine regions in Central Europe
- Wine regions in Southern Europe
Module 3: New World wines, basis of wine and food pairing
- Classic and modern wine styles
- Wine regions in the New World
- The Northern Hemisphere
- The Southern Hemisphere
- Basic principles of wine and food pairing
- Product, cooking technics and garnishments
- Basic rules for making a menu
- Basic rules for tasting
Module 4: exam, explore your skills
- Exam Basic Wine Certificate
- Tasting session by you and fellow students: bring your own
All together, we will be tasting 20 wines of good quality.
National recognised exam
- Theory: 30 multiple choice questions
- Theory: 3 short written answers
- Tasting: 2 wines, make a tasting note and give a wine-food pairing advise
- Exam result: you will receive your exam result within a week
- Students with Pass will receive their Basic Wine Certificate within 3 weeks after the exam.
Confirmation and course materials
After receiving your registration you will automatically get a confirmation and invoice. At the first course day you will receive your study pack: course book and workbook, and a box with 3 Schoitt Zwiesel tasting glasses. The wine color chart© and the aroma circle© are part of the study pack.
Excellent preparation for WSET level 2: International Wine Certification
This is a short, intensive course. You will be learning in an active way. At whatever level you start with, afterwards you will have a solid foundation of theory and tasting. Your self-confidence has grown, you can buy a wine or order one at the table, and you know what to expect from the most important grapes. This makes you well-prepared for the next level: WSET level 2, the International Wine Certificate.
Course price is all-in, free of VAT
Wijnstudio is a recognised institute for education, therefore we may offer our courses free of VAT.
The price of all Wijnstudio courses are all-inn, no VAT is added.
The course content was meticulously organized, covering the fundamentals of different grape varieties, key wine regions, and the basics of pairing wine with food. It was a perfect blend of theory and practical learning, allowing us to taste and analyze wines from various regions. This course presented an excellent opportunity for learning and networking with like minded individuals, many of whom I remain in contact with today to exchange tips and tasting notes.